It is one of the oldest towns (now a city of 90,000) in Texas, and is located right on the Guadalupe River. We ate lunch at Fossati's Delicatessen, previously known as Fossati's Bar & Saloon from the time it opened in 1882 until just recently. It was originally owned by Frank Napoleon Fossati - sounds rather German French Italian to me! Rosa Lee told me how when she went there as a child the women and girls were seated and served in a separate, large dining room area in the back - only the men could be in the main "saloon".
When we asked about using the ladies' room, they showed us which way to go - Stephanie asked if it accomodated more than one lady at a time, and they said "yes". We decided we are not "THAT GOOD" of friends, however, and each waited our turn.
Here is St. Mary's Catholic Church. It is really old and really pretty - and is where my friend was married. I took the picture to show these stairs outside where she "stood in her wedding gown trying to decide whether or not she was really going inside to walk down the aisle." But she got married -- I think she and Cliff have been married about 43 years now, and they are perfect for each other.
They have a section of really beautiful old homes, some antebellum, some just the estate homes of wealthy ranching families.

(Editor's Note -- I had awesome photo of another really cool house here, besides the one above, but apparently the way I imported it is causing all kinds of problems, so I've taken it out -- but just know, it looked awesome - it was my favorite - sigh.)
The downtown area has this wonderful County Courthouse, and picturesque town square park with a pretty gazebo.


Now for a few interesting highlights about Victoria that I didn't get to experience personally, but which are worth noting: Victoria's collegiate summer league baseball team are the Victoria Generals. What's not to love about a baseball team who plays in a stadium right on the river, and whose mascot resembles a Confederate General and is named "Buckshot"???
They have many cultural events and festivities throughout the year - here's the description of "Boot Fest" held every September:
This is Victoria's biggest guitar jammin,' boot making, art 'n crafts buying, fireworks booming, cotton candy & dinner on a stick FREE event of the year!


Again, I have to ask, what's not to LOVE about a festival with fireworks, cotton candy and dinner on a stick?
Victoria has a proud Czech heritage as well - and apparently they have a Czech Festival each year. I would go, but I don't have the right outfit.
Well, there's much more I could share about Victoria, but I'll leave off here. I did get to see some beautiful wildflowers along the way, although the Texas Bluebonnets are not out in full force just yet. I had fun on my day trip - Stephanie is a big-city girl who lived "up East" (Connecticut, New York City) for many years, so she has no appreciation for places like Victoria, even if it's where she grew up. Her mother, however, loves the place and was downright tickled to get the chance to show me what a great little city it is.


No comments:
Post a Comment