Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Too Hot to Handle

Last week I hit my saturation point in my usual Day Laborer duties and decided I needed to do something "fun".   Being a not particularly "crafty" person, I'm a little limited in what I can do that will actually be "fun" instead of "frustrating".   I had seen a fun and free pattern (more like directions) online for Pot Holders, or Hot Pads, whichever you like to call them -- you cut out 5 different layers and sandwich them together to machine quilt -- one layer was a product I wasn't familiar with called "Insul Brite".   It's basically a sheet of metal that is needle punched with batting, so it comes out soft like batting, but protects against heat real well.  That perked my interest, so I set out to find Insul Brite, and ended up making several sets of quilted pot holders.  It turned out to be FUN not Frustrating, and I have given some of these away already to friends -- which is one explanation for the black and white themed ones -- they match a specific kitchen.   Rod says they look like car racing, or NASCAR, pot holders.  There are a lot of creative touches that can be added to these - mine are very simple beginner versions.

10 comments:

DeAnne said...

These are very cute!

Unknown said...

Love the pink and brown ones! I've got the makings of some sitting next to my sewing machine... Hopefully I will get them finished before the year is up...

Scott said...

Hi, its your neardy son. I had to do some research on this Insul Brite, because metals are not good at resisting heat. Turns out the stuff is a combination of heat resistant plastic so heat is not absorbed and metal to reflect back radiant heat. Now you know the rest of the story.

Oh and I guess they look cute and stuff.

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

Can I just say that I'm pretty darned pleased that I did a blog post that generated a comment from Scott? Who knew it would be on a post about Cute pot holders!

Joy Carlton said...

Nice job on the pot holders. They turned out nicely.

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

Who are you "Our Family"???? Thanks for the nice comment - would love to know who it came from!

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

The nascar ones work good and also make me feel manly at the same time.

Scott said...

Mom,if you want me to post more you need to have more posts that envoke my vast knowledge learned in material science engineering courses.

Sarah said...

I just saw this post and these are so so cute! I'm also laughing at the comments generated by Scott! lol ... you are so crafty! The pink ones are just too cute! :)

Tanaya and Tim said...

I really like those! They look great. Did I mention our kitchen colors are red? ;)