Friday, October 8, 2010

DOM, DOM, DOM, DOM (music, please)

The most prominent feature of the Cologne skyline is The Cathedral of St. Peter and Mary, a really tall, really beautiful gothic cathedral, most commonly referred to as "The Dom". Everyone who goes to Cologne visits this famous landmark -- in fact, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which means it is of "international" significance, and someplace tourists have to visit.

They began building it in 1248, but didn't finish until around 1850. The tallest part, the twin towers (standing about 520 feet high) was finished first, and the building was in use during throughout the 600 years it took to finish it. It was the tallest structure in the world for a time, and was the tallest structure in Europe for quite awhile until the Eiffel Tower took over that honor. It has a spiral staircase of 509 steps you can hike up to get a beautiful view of the city and the Rhine River. I didn't know if I would make it, and since I was alone, decided not to take my chances on a heart attack mid-way up (or down).

Over 90% of the city of Cologne was destroyed by bombs during WWII. Although the Dom was never hit directly, it was severely damaged by over 70 nearby bombings because it is located right near the main train station (or Haubenhoptf) an important transportation target.

Fortunately, some of the original stained glass windows were preserved because they removed them and stored them safely offsite in anticipation of the bombings. These original stained glass windows have over 400 pieces of colored glass in each one-meter square panel. They used only 6 colors then.
One of the large windows that was destroyed remained just clear glass for many years. It was replaced in 2007 by a window designed by a famous German artist -- it is made of 11,500 identical size and shape pieces of glass -- now in 72 different colors. It was made to resemble "pixels. Apparently the archbishop really, really doesn't like the new window -- he wanted a window depicting 20th century martyrs. So, he refused to attend the unveiling and he even had his important seat/chair in the cathedral moved so that he does not have to look at the new window during mass.

The floors are all done in mosaic tile, really intricate, really pretty. We're thinking of tiling our concrete patio at home....maybe Rod can do me one of these.....
The other "claim to fame" of the Dom is its religious relics -- it houses the bones of the Three Wise Men. Yes, authenticated, of course -- well, they say no other cathedral or church shrine claims to have them, so it is unchallenged, therefore, true. They keep the bones in this golden shrine -- and occasionally, on Epiphany, they open it up so visitors can view the remains -- they say people wait in a long, long line for the chance to pass by and view them. I'm okay with not being there for that event.

Well, that's The Dom. And now, to finish off this post, I'll include another of my random sightings -- this apparently was the day the Little Red Riding Hood club visited the sights of Cologne, Germany. Watch out Big Bad Wolf!

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Wow, I want to be in the Little Red Riding Hood club.

I am glad you take pictures of ridiculously dressed people as well, haha.

Scott said...

All you need to have relics is a claim that no one else has?!? I'm going to get a whales tooth and say its the one that swallowed Jonah.

I think the little red riding hood tour would be much cooler on Segways.

That is an ugly window too. I wonder why the archpishop hasn't hurled a rock at it.

Sarah, Nick and Seth said...

The riding hood club is cracking me up? I don't know what's funnier, them in those outfits, or the fact that you took a picture of them! :) I love it!!!

Looks like you had a pretty fun trip!

Tim Larsen said...

The cathedral looks awesome, but I kind of agree with the archbishop--the new window kind of looks like something I would have made on Microsoft Paint when I was 10.

Tanaya and Tim said...

That building is amazing! I'm glad they were able to use it for some of the 600 years it took to build it.