Sunday, December 6, 2009

ADVENT-ur-US

I don't ever think I've had a request for a Blog post before -- in fact, I'm not entirely sure my blog is terribly interesting to anyone -- but DeAnne asked me to blog about our family's Advent Calendar. This calendar is done in counted cross stitch, and there are many, many, many crosses and stitches! It took a few (several) years to complete, and as is the case with most good things in my life, I have to give HUGE credit to Rod -- the big tree on this was stitched mostly by him -- probably 75% of it anyway -- often when he travelled for work he would take "the project" along and stitch forever in shades of green while he had down time in his hotel room. So here it is.....we have 24 little ornaments, so we start on Dec. 1 and hang the last one on Christmas Eve:


Rod also gets credit for designing several of the ornaments -- the pattern I used had some that I wasn't really crazy about, so my most talented husband designed some replacements -- things that are important in our family -- a snowflake, a sleigh, a church, and yes, a cable car (we lived in the Bay Area, CA at the time).

A favorite ornament in our family is the train -- competition is fierce to be the one who picks it -- this year the honor went to my little buddy Bobby. Just remember when it's your turn -- no peeking, just picking!



2 comments:

DeAnne said...

oh man - major props for the cross stiching! That would have taken me 100 years! I guess I will have to start working on ideas for ours now while I can get supplies - and then I'll have a whole year to work on it.

Scott said...

Bobby may have gotten the train, but I picked the cable car! Just make sure the snowflake is gone by the time Bob visits.